Chad Warpinski / EyeEmGetty Pictures
Flag etiquette is an critical part of the American custom that assures the Stars and Stripes are taken care of with the dignity they deserve. Recognized by Congress in 1942, the formal U.S. Flag Code created tips for the care and display of the flag. Though it does not describe an formal system for folding the flag, the rules do point out that you should really hardly ever retail store a flag in a way the place it can get torn, dirty, or ruined. You should really also hardly ever permit the flag touch something beneath it, these kinds of as the ground or flooring.
About time, a triangular form has develop into the common way to fold the flag and retail store it in a safe and sound method. In accordance to the American Legion, the correct origin of this unique course of action is unknown, but it could trace back again to the Gold Star Moms of America or the United States Air Drive Academy.
You can fly Outdated Glory any working day of the year, but you could want to set absent an specially significant flag just after displaying it on Memorial Day. This system will maintain your flag on the lookout pristine right until right until the Fourth of July or the next big holiday getaway. If you happen to be by oneself, first lay the flag out on a desk confront-up, smoothing out any wrinkles. Or else, come across a companion and stand opposite every single other at the short ends, holding the flag taut and parallel to the ground. This is what to do next:
How to Fold an American Flag
- Fold the lower, striped section of the flag over the blue industry.
- Fold over the folded base edge to meet up with the best edge.
- Start off a triangular fold by bringing the striped corner of the folded edge to the best edge.
- Turn the outer issue inward, parallel with the best edge, to type a second triangle.
- Continue on right until the closing folds guarantee that only the Union (the blue part with white stars) is showing and the open edges are folded in.
See Specifically How to Fold the Flag
A pair suggestions:
- In the first two steps, you happen to be primarily folding the flag in quarters lengthwise.
- If you happen to be folding the flag with a companion, the human being at the striped close should really make all of the triangular folds though the human being at the Union close retains the flag taut.
Flag etiquette dictates only traveling your flag amongst dawn and sunset until it is adequately illuminated. You should really also acquire down Outdated Glory in the event of inclement climate besides if it is really an all-climate flag designed out of a non-absorbent product like nylon. Only fly American flags in good ailment, but as extensive as you comply with these tips, your Stars and Stripes will final a long time to arrive.